Help! I’m broke and need emergency support

Help! I’m broke and need emergency support

If you’ve been struck by disaster or have run out of money and can’t afford essentials like food or heating, there are emergency funds to help you.

If you’ve run out of money, you might be wondering what emergency support is available to you. You can no longer apply for crisis loans, and the system for emergency support and emergency cash loans is being tightened. But there are various other funds that cover a fair amount of what crisis loans covered.

Emergency money from your local council

Local councils are now responsible for helping you if you’ve been hit by a disaster like a fire or flood and you’re suddenly homeless or can’t afford food or necessities.

The type of help varies from council to council, there are no set rules about emergency support. Some will direct you to food banks and churches, some will give you a card loaded with cash that lets you buy food (but not alcohol or cigarettes), and some will give you a short-term loan. You don’t have to be on benefits to get this help.

Money from the government if you’re on benefits

If you’re on benefits there’s emergency support available, depending on your situation. The Jobcentre won’t necessarily tell you about this, so arm yourself with knowledge:

1) Hardship payments

A hardship payment is a reduced amount of benefit payable if you have no other way of covering essentials such as food, heating or medical supplies. You might be able to get one if your benefit has been stopped because you’ve been sanctioned, or you’re being investigated for fraud, or have applied for a benefit and are waiting for a decision. Continue reading “Help! I’m broke and need emergency support”